Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Alpha-Bits

Alpha-Bits cereal was invented by Thomas M. Quigley who worked for Post Cereals (he had to be a nerd to think of letters in cereal). The cereal was introduced in 1958 and was taken off the market in 2006. Alpha-Bit re-appeared for sale in January 2008 with a new formulation, touting "0% Sugar!" as a "Limited Edition" cereal. It is still around so I guess they must have produced over 1,000,000 boxes.
The first mascot for Alpha-Bits was a mail man named Loveable Truly. Since then, mascots have included the Alpha-Bits Wizard and in 1980s there was yet another mascot named Alfie. Alfie was Alpha-Bits cereal wonder dog.
The Jackson 5 produced many commercials in the early 70's for Alpha-bits. I have not heard much from them except of course MJ. Jermaine did have a hit in the 80's that my brother Mark would lip-sync too.
I am sure Alfie found a new owner but I have no idea what happened to Tito, Jackie and Marlon. I hope they made enough money in the 70's and are not living on cereal.

No comments: