Thursday, August 14, 2008

Circus Peanuts?


Lucky Charms is a favorite among children. Lucky the leprechaun is an icon. Because of these two reasons I just had to research this cereal. I discovered that the cereal came about by mixing Cheerios with Circus Peanuts! I have to stop right there with the Lucky Charms because Circus Peanuts brought back a lot of memories for me. As a young boy I remember looking for the most horrible sounding and repulsive looking candy to purchase with $1.00 (I usually earned a $1.00 by changing the "pee the bed" sheets on the bed of my brother's spend the night guest); Circus Peanuts fit that description.
Last night I left my house to find a bag of Circus Peanuts. I had to go to two gas stations and a CVS to find some Circus Peanuts. CVS actually carried this candy. Once I brought the candy home and survived the wrath of my wife (I am supposed to be on a low-triglyceride diet) I opened the bag and did a taste test. Just as I remembered; tastes like a stale marshmallow with a hint of a horrible banana after-taste.
Why a Circus Peanut is orange I do not know. I honestly do not understand who came up with the idea of a Circus Peanut. My thought is that a couple of stale marshmallows were accidentally packaged inside bag of Orange Slices. I do not believe anyone wants to take responsibility for the idea behind the name Circus Peanuts. Though the name and idea of Circus Peanuts stuck; Brach's probably blamed the whole thing on the bearded-lady working at the front desk. Hopefully that bearded-lady joined a circus. If not, some where out there is a bearded lady living on cereal.

No comments: